Monday, June 16, 2014

Books 5-8

The second week of break is starting. We are slowly figuring out the summer routine. I do crave schedule and routine in life, so i go a little crazy at the beginning of the summer. I am enjoying the extra hours in the day to read. If the boys are playing with (relative) independence, then I sneak in a couple pages of a book. Or I forgo the cleaning duties after they have gone to bed to read more as well! :) My preference is most definitely fiction, but I am going to make sure I stay balanced by reading a professional book or two, as well as some books my dad has given us about parenting, etc. We will see how it goes!

Click on the picture for more information! :)
     5.Ivan the One and Only I loved this story. It is from the perspective of a gorilla. It is based on the story of a real gorilla who is currently in the Atlanta Zoo, which makes me excited because we are going to visit there this summer! :) *UPDATE: I was told that Ivan actually died in 2012. So although we enjoyed our time at the zoo... we didn't get to see Ivan. :(

   6. Deadend in Norvelt: It was a fun book, set after WW2. Some parts were believable, some didn't seem realistic. I think my boys would enjoy this story.

   7. Shooting Kabul: I saw this book on display at the library and picked it up. When I started it I didn't know if I could read it because it is about a family escaping Afganistan but in the process the youngest daughter gets left behind. I was so afraid I would be reading a story where a family gets messed up because of that, but it was not at all. I could not put the book down. It was a beautiful, well written story.

  8. Crazy Busy: My dad gave us this book at Christmas. Of course I had to wait until the busyness of school wound down! :) It was a worthwhile read. I especially appreciated the chapter on children and the last chapter really brought it all together. The last sentence of the book was so full of truth. "What is wrong... is to live a life with more craziness than we want because we have less Jesus than we need."


(next on my list is Navigating Early and And the Mountains Echoed!)



No comments:

Post a Comment