Monday, June 16, 2014

Summer cooking!

It seems appropriate the summer recipes involve fresh veggies or the grill! I have a little garden going. It is more of an experiment. I have a lot of tomatoes on their way to ripening, beans, corn, cucumbers, egg plants... then some carrots and spinach that do not seem to be doing well at all! While we wait on all that veggie goodness, I am enjoying using a lot of the herbs we planted! Lots and lots of basil, mint and cilantro! :) 

Thanks to lots of basil I have been making lots of pesto! Some times I freeze it, but other times we use it right away. I use the recipe found here, but often make some substitutions. I use pine nuts or walnuts, and often add spinach. We use it on pizza or with pasta. The boys love it. Some times I mix in some sausage or other times I saute a bunch of veggies (peppers, zucchini, onions) and we have a yummy meatless meal! 


On the grill we have a new go-to chicken marinade that I found here. We will sometimes substitute mint for the cilantro if we don't have cilantro on hand. This chicken is perfect to cut into long slices and eat on top of salad! The best part is that Will often makes the marinade and then grills it so all I have to do is make a salad! :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment