Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Summer Reading

I'm a summer reader. I get way too involved in books and its hard for me to put it down once I have started. The late nights that result from a good read don't mesh well with the early school mornings. One of my goals it to learn how to put a book down and realize that I can step back into reality! :)
A couple weeks ago, a friend has posted that she had read 100 books in less then a year. She is also a teacher and mother of two. I was inspired! :) She also provided a list of her favorite, which served as some of the motivation I needed. There are so many books written, but how many of them are really worth reading? So I made a list that started with her suggestions, then used some pinterest recommendations, and went through the list of the Newberry Awards! (I think that most children's books are some of the best, most beautiful stories written!)
Anyways, here is the list that I have read so far (in the last couple of weeks)
     1. Book Thief: I think everyone needs to read this book. But with a box of tissues. I loved reading how Liesel's life was changed because of the people that loved her. This was one of the only books in my life that I wanted to read the end before I got there because I was so nervous. I refrained.

    2. Counting by Sevens: Also another fabulous book. Willow, the main character, and Liesel from Book Thief definitely had some similarities. Both were such strong characters. I couldn't put this one down!

   3. Copper Sun: The story was horrifying in many ways. Slavery was a terrible, terrible part of our history. But it was a beautiful story of friendship and perseverance.

   4. Flora and Ulysses: The Illuminated Adventures: Today's reading was much lighter, but still a wonderful story. I mean, to have a Squirrel as a main character is quite unique. Kate DiCamillo is one of my favorite authors.

Up next is The One and Only Ivan and Dead end in Norvelt!
Feel free to click on the pictures of the books if you want actual reviews of the stories... I could talk all day about some of the books, but don't want to give anything away to people that have not read them!

No comments:

Post a Comment