Friday, August 22, 2014

The Last of my Summer Reading: Books 21-22 (and 19 1/2)

Well, the summer is over now that school has started, except that I think our hottest days have been after school started. These are the last two books I read before


 21. The Boy in the Striped Pajamas: This was such an interesting perspective of a nine year old trying to understand what was going on in WW2. So much he did not understand but followed along because it was what he was told to do. The ending of the book was so shocking I kept thinking about it for days and days, still in utter disbelief. I am glad to have discovered John Boyne this summer! I look forward to reading more by him!

 22. Fault in Our Stars: This was an good last read of the summer. I have to admit, I did often feel like I was back in seventh grade reading Lurlene McDaniels and crying during class! ;)


  19 1/2: The Julian Chapter: Well, I guess summer is over, but this was a good saturday morning read (Alex woke up way too early!) so thought I would add it. It is written from the perspective of the bully in the book Wonder. I'm glad Palacio wrote this because there are always two sides to every story. And while Julian was a big bully, it is a side that kids need to hear. It's about learning from your mistakes and not letting them define you. It's about asking for forgiveness. Reading  the Julian Chapter made me want to read Wonder all over again, they are both must-reads!





No comments:

Post a Comment