Sunday, February 12, 2012

Recipe #248: Whole Wheat Torillas

Well, I had all the different stuff I needed to make something Mexican, except for the tortillas that is! And while it might have been faster to go to the store and get some, I didn't feel like having to get into the car and drive anywhere, so instead I decided to make them from scratch! I used a recipe I found here and loved the fact that they were whole wheat.
It was definitely a work in progress but I look forward to making them again. I think it will start to get easier too, or rather, that hopefully my tortillas will look more normal the more I make them. It wasn't until half way through that I figured out a good system...rolling them all out at once did not work so great!

You need:
2 1/2 whole wheat flour
1/2 cup oil
1 tsp salt
1 cup warm water 
  • heat tap water in microwave for a minute
  • using a dough hook on your mixer, mix flour, oil and salt together until crumbly
  • gradually add warm water
  • roll with hands into a log and divide into 12 equal pieces
  • roll into balls and flatten tops
  • cover with plastic wrap and let sit for 15 minutes (I used this time to make a batch of boule bread dough! :) )
  • on a lightly floured surface, roll each ball into and 8-10 inch circle. (tip: I set up a space to roll out the tortilla on the stove right next to where i was browning them so I was rolling one out while one was in the fry pan)
  • grease a warm 12 inch pan and cook until puffy and slightly brown 30-45 seconds on each side.
  • eat, refrigerate, or freeze!

No comments:

Post a Comment