Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Recipe #254: Valentine's Sugar Cookies (and Recipe #255: Butter Frosting)


To not get too far behind in posting recipes and to not be too far removed from the holiday, I will share the sugar cookie recipe I made for Valentine's day. This was totally a last minute thing, but it was fun to have a reason to make cookies. Unfortunately my kids never got to taste them (that is a long story) but we shared them with other deserving people instead! ;)
I have to say, I haven't made sugar cookie I think in the last year or two, but this recipe turned out fabulous! I found it in a real simple magazine and it will be my go to from now on! I doubled it, but this is the original recipe.

You need: 
2 1/2 cups flour
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp kosher salt
1 cup butter, room temperature (I softened mine in the microwave, it is really important to have butter that is not right out of the fridge!)
3/4 cup sugar
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla 
  • in a large bowl, mix together flour, baking soda, and salt.
  • in a mixing bowl beat butte and sugar until smooth.
  • add in egg and beat until fluffy, then add vanilla.
  • slowly add flour mixture and mix until just blended.
  • form into a disc, wrap and refrigerate for 1 hour.
  •  to roll out dough take to sheets of wax paper. sprinkle powdered sugar on both sheet.
  • take one half of dough and flatten with your hand.
  • place between two sheets of wax paper and roll out until about 1/4 inch thick.
  • cut out the shapes of your choice
  • place on a non stick sprayed cookie sheet and refrigerate for about 10 minutes. Sprinkle some decorating sugar on top if you don't feel like frosting!
  • bake at 350 for 12-15 minutes.
  • allow to cool slightly on pan but don't wait too long to put on a cooling rack or they will be hard to get off the pan! 
  • if you want to frost cookies, see delicious frosting recipe below!
BUTTER FROSTING
I ended up frosting some of the cookies but using just a colored sugar topping for others.
Here is my go to frosting recipe. I halved it because I wasn't decorating a lot. But I am writing out the full recipe. I also now realize I totally didn't follow the directions, but it still turned out okay! 

You need:
3/4 cup butter
9 cups powdered sugar
1/4 cup milk *you might need extra if too stiff
2 tsp vanilla
food coloring if you want to decorate with color (I did not this time!)
  • beat butter until smooth
  • gradually add 2 cups of powdered sugar, beating well.
  • add in milk and vanilla
  • gradually beat in remaining powdered sugar
  • add extra milk if needed to reach spreading consistancy.
(what i actually did was put in sugar, milk, then butter and mixed it all up...it was fine, just next time i would sift the powdered sugar first)


No comments:

Post a Comment