Tuesday, September 20, 2011

baguettes

People, if you haven't started making your own bread yet, I want to know what is holding you back! It is SO easy! I still mix up the dough, but on several occasions I have come home to find that will made a loaf for his lunch that day! We haven't bough any bread in the last month for sure! :)

So today with our chicken parmesan I decided to make a baguette, which is just a variation of the original boule bread so make that first.
this was my first time trying a baguette so it didn't look great but is really easy.
  • make the dough and allow to rise as normal. 
  • before baking, take out the portion of dough, form it into a ball
  • then use your hands to stretch it to elongate it, until it is about 2 inches in diameter
  • sit it on a pizza peel covered in whole wheat flour.
  • rest for 20 minutes
  • preheat oven and stone for 20 minutes
  • before baking, sprinkle water on top and slash diagonally with a knife.
  • add 1 cup water to the boil pan inside the oven
  • bake for 20-30 minutes or until it is crusty brown.
I could have let it go longer but needed to put the chicken in! :)
After eating this bread, I realized how much more delicious white bread is than wheat...why does it have ot be like that? :)

No comments:

Post a Comment