Friday, March 16, 2012

Recipe #285: Churros

My students are studying the continent of North America, and in an effort to encourage good behavior, if they were able to keep the letters in CONTINENT TREAT then I would make them something from North America. So I settled on churros, because  it seemed more fun then anything from the US or Canada. I found a recipe here and then make some adjustments based on the reviews. I tripled the recipe as well. All in all it wasn't too hard!

You need:
3 cups water
3 Tbsp sugar
1 1/2 tsp salt
3 Tbsp oil
3 cups flour
oil for frying
1 cup sugar and 2 tsp cinnamon
  • in a sauce pan combine water, sugar, salt and oil. Heat until boiling.
  • add to flour. Mix until it forms a soft ball.
  • put some of the dough in a pastry bag or ziploc (and cut a hole to pipe out)
  • heat oil in a skillet. 
  • pipe dough into the hot oil. I did about a finger length size and cut if off with a knife
  • fry about 5 at a time (depending on the size of your skillet)
  • once they are golden brown let them cool on a paper towel.
  • get the next batch in the fry pan and then take the ones that are cooling and toss them in a bag with cinnamon and sugar.
my students really enjoyed them even though they were kind of soggy on the second day! :) definitely taste better fresh! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment