Saturday, May 26, 2012

Recipe #359: Spring Rolls take 2!

I had spring roll take one a while back and they did not turn out well at all! I had the wrong kind of wrappers and not the best recipe. But I was not going to give up, so I did some research and found a better recipe, got the right ingredients and oh. my. goodness.
I found a winner.


I found the recipe here. I changed up the ingredients just a bit, but she has great step by step directions for rolling. I still need to work on getting mine the same size and shape, but they turned out so well! It is kind of a long process, but I broke it up so that most of the prep I did during Alex's nap time and then it was really easy to fry them up before dinner! I stuck over half of what I rolled in the freezer, so we already have a meal ready for another time!

You need:
1 package of spring roll wrappers. (I found mine in the frozen section of an asian food store.) get the ones that are a white 8x8 square
1 lb ground pork. 
1 Tbsp soy sauce
1/2 tsp corn starch
1/4 tsp sugar
1 bag of cole slaw (I used about 2/3 of it)
spring onions, sliced 
garlic, chopped
1 Tbsp mirin
1 Tbsp soy sauce
1/4 tsp sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp sesame oil
  • take wrappers out of the freezer so they are thawed out by the time you want to start.
  • first mix pork, 1 Tbsp soy sauce, corn starch, and 1/4 tsp sugar together. marinate for 10 minutes
  • in a large fry pan, brown pork until no longer pink, push to side of pan and then add cole slaw, onions, and garlic. stir fry for a couple minutes until veggies soften. 
  • then add mirin, soy sauce, sugar, salt and sesame oil (I actually mixed these together in a small bowl first and then dumped it in)
  • mix everything together.
  • spread out on a cookie sheet tilted up so that the extra juices drain down. Remove access juice and then bloat with a paper towel
*if you are visual like me be sure to check out these great picture directions!
  • take off one sheet and place it on flat surface with a corner facing you.
  • place a tablespoon full of meat mixture in the bottom portion of the wrapper. roll up half way and then fold two corners tightly into the middle. 
  • continue to roll up making sure it is tightly staying together.
  • dab water on the last corner to make sure it sticks to the roll.
  • as you make them layer on a cookie sheet and cover with plastic wrap.
  • take out what you need then put the rest in the freezer. I froze them on a cookie sheet first then put it in a bag after if was frozen
  • in a small sauce pan, pour in about 2 inches of oil and heat until it is about 350.
  • add in 2-3 spring rolls at a time. I had really long chopsticks that were perfect for placing them in, then turning each slightly so that it browns evenly. 
  • after a minute or two take them out and place on a wire rack to cool.
  • enjoy with sweet chili sauce or your favorite dipping sauce! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment