Sunday, July 3, 2011

Recipe #33: Berry Melon Ice Pops

In my Everyday Food magazine they had a recipe for some ice pops using cantaloupe. The other day Walmart was having cantaloupe on sale for a $1! So after cutting it up, I remembered reading about these ice pops and decided it would be a fun recipe to try.
Plus, it is about time I used these cute popsicle molds!

Of course I tweaked it a bit using what I had at the house. I can't seem to find the original recipe online, or I would link it. But it is from the July/August issue of Everyday Food.
I used:
1 cup blueberries
1 cup cut up cantaloupe
4 Tbsp greek vanilla yogurt 
1/4 cup sugar (the recipe called for twice that amount, but since I used vanilla yogurt and not plain I didn't want to make it too sweet)

First in a blender or small food processor blend the blueberries and 1/8 cup sugar. Add 2 Tbsp yogurt and blend until smooth. Divide the blueberry among the 4 molds. Clean out the food processor. Put in the melon and rest of the sugar. blend. Add the yogurt and continue to blend until smooth. Add on top of the blueberry mixture. Close up the molds and put in the freezer for 3 hours.

of course the hardest part was getting the popsicle out of the mold! But I finally succeeded...
It was delicious! (Yes, I did eat one this morning because I wanted to know if they turned out, but it is yogurt and fruit, those are breakfast foods!) 

After eating one, I would make a couple of changes the next time I make them. The recipe said to run the blueberry mixture through a strainer to just get the liquid. I didn't do that, but probably will next time, as the blueberry part was pretty grainy. The melon part was delicious. Melon ice bars would be amazing all by themselves! (with some little melon chunks left in...hmmm. that would be good!)

No comments:

Post a Comment