Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Recipe #36: Pane Rustica or European Peasant Bread

I decided to finally try another recipe from the amazing Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day. My dough tub was empty and it was time to try something new. This one is similar to the boule bread, but it uses some whole wheat flour as well.

You need:
3 cups lukewarm water
1 1/2 Tbsp yeast
1 1/2 Tbsp Kosher salt
1/2 cup rye flour
1/2 cup whole wheat flour  (I didn't have any rye flour so used a full cup of whole wheat and it tasted just fine)
5 1/2 cups white flour
  • Mix the yeast and salt with the water.
  • Mix in the rest of the dry ingredients without kneading. (I use the dough hook on my mixer)
  • Cover and all to rest at room temperature until dough rises and collapses, about two hours.
  • The dough can be used right after it is done rising, but it is easier to handle after being refrigerated. So I made it in the morning and then after rising put it in the fridge and then made a loaf before dinner.
  • To bake a loaf: cut off about a grapefruit sized piece of dough. 
  • Shape it into a ball by stretching the surface around to the bottom on all four sides.
  • Let the loaf rest on your pizza peel (covered with cornmeal) for about 40 minutes.
  • 20 minutes before baking, preheat the oven to 450 and put your baking stone and broiler tray in the oven.
  • Sprinkle loaf with flour and then use a serrated knife to cut either a tic-tac-toe or cross etc on the top.
  • Slide loaf on to stone. Pour 1 cup of hot water into boiler tray. bake for about 35 minutes of until crust is deep brown and very firm. I have realized that I need to bake mine at least 5 minutes more then suggested because my crust hasn't browned enough at that point.

No comments:

Post a Comment