Wednesday, June 1, 2011

It has begun!

I realized that I picked the worst week ever to start my mission to try a new recipe everyday! School is ending and with that comes end of year events, catching up on things at home, and hoping to have an evening out with Will, I realized there wasn't much time left to try new recipes! Oh well, we will see how things go-- I have some recipes to try that I am pretty excited about!
Anyways, today I decided to do a recent favorite that takes about 10 minutes hands on time...QUICHE! Quiche used to seem quite involved. My mom made it only on special occasions. Now I realize that its because the crust was so involved! I originally found this recipe that kind of got me rolling:     http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Quiche-Lorraine-I/Detail.aspx but since I didn't have all of the ingredients in my house, I improvised. Also Will is a carnivore and prefers meat to veggies. So this is my spin off on the original...

preheat oven to 425

1 refrigerated pie crust (those make my life so much easier!)
1 cup cheese...give or take, use whatever you have on hand
1 cupish bacon (fried) or any kind of cold cuts. i have used turkey, salami, ham, whatever is in the fridge!

put the pie crust in the pie plate and then put the cheese and meat inside.

in a small bowl, mix:
5-6 eggs
2 cups milk
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper (adds a nice kick!)
pepper to taste

pour the egg mixture into the pie shell stir it up a bit.
put in oven for 15 minutes. afterwards put temp down to 300 and bake for another 30 minutes.

In the meantime, you can wash the dishes or bathe your child, and then when it is done let it rest for 15 minutes or so. So it won't be so soggy.

Sometime I want to do two--a meatier one for Will and a veggie one for me. Spinach, onions, mushrooms, asparagus...the possibilities are endless... and so delicious!

1 comment:

  1. i give you permission to try this recipe out on me next week :)

    ReplyDelete