Saturday, June 18, 2011

Recipe #17: Oatmeal Raisin Cookies

I am not sure cookies without chocolate in them should really exist, but they do and in honor of Father's Day, my sister Sarah and I decided to make some for my dad and Will, who both love oatmeal raisin cookies. I have to admit my mom makes amazing ones and ours don't look quite as beautiful as hers, but I think they will be enjoyed all the same.
This recipe comes from this old Poppin' Fresh Cookie and Bar cookbook that my mom has had for ages, and we have tried a variety of cookies and such out of it.

You need:
3/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup butter, softened
1/2 tsp vanilla
1 egg
3/4 cup flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp salt
1 1/2 cup oats
1/2 cup raisins
1/2 cup chopped nuts (which we left out)

  • Preheat oven to 375 and grease cookie sheets
  • Mix together the sugars and butter.
  • Add vanilla and egg, mix.
  • Add flour, baking soda, cinnamon and salt, mix well.
  • Stir in oats and raisins.
  • Drop on cookie sheet about 2 inches apart. Back for 7-10 minutes or until edges are light brown.
It says it makes 3.5 dozen cookies but we made two dozen with the recipe. A good tip from my mom...put dough in fridge to harden up a bit, that way the cookie won't spread out wide like ours did, but it stays together better and thus much more delicious. 

But since my dad ate 3 as soon as they came out, I think it is safe to say they turned out okay! 

No comments:

Post a Comment