Sunday, June 26, 2011

Recipe #28: Oatmeal Cake

Do not let the name of this fool you! It is one of my all time favorite cakes and I rarely make it because when I do, I could probably eat the whole thing myself! Fortunately I have an excuse to make it because we are having a dessert thing at church tonight. Perfect excuse! I guess the easiest way to describe it is that it is like a spice cake.

You need:
1 1/4 cup boiling water                                            Topping:
1 cup quick oats                                                      1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup margarine, softened                                     3/4 cup chocolate chips
1 cup brown sugar                                                   1/2 cup chopped nuts
1 cup sugar
2 eggs
1 1/3 cup flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp nutmeg
1 tsp salt

  • First pour water over oats and let stand
  • cream together margarine, brown sugar, white sugar, and eggs
  • add oatmeal mixture, stir
  • mix in flour, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt
  • pour into a 9x13 pan
  • on top sprinkle the sugar all over the top of the cake. this creates almost a barrier that keeps the nuts and the chocolate chips from sinking to the bottom. make sure you carefully sprinkle the sugar all over the top of the cake. 
  • then carefully sprinkle nuts and chocolate chips on top. 
  • Bake for 30 min at 350. Stick a fork in middle to see if it comes out clean.
a great variation of a topping is to add coconut. an even better topping would be coconut and chocolate chips together. unfortunately Will does not like coconut so I don't often use the coconut version. It would be delicious though!
Sometimes, no matter how careful you are, the chocolate chips still sink to the bottom. If that happens, just add some more chocolate chips to the top while the cake is still warm, so you still have a pretty topping! I never had problems with that until we moved into this house and I made cakes in this oven...not sure why.

But I added more chocolate chips and you can't even tell! Plus it makes it more chocolatey! 

No comments:

Post a Comment